1. Start on the right foot
- Arrive early to ensure you have time to visit your top organizations
- Wear business formal attire and comfortable shoes
- Stay focused by turning your phone on silent
- Get your free professional headshot photo taken to use on LinkedIn and other social media
2. Communicate effectively with employers
- Employers are excited to meet with you! Show enthusiasm and positive body language (smiling, head nodding, open stance, eye contact) when you approach the organization's representatives.
- Introduce yourself using the "personal commercial" or "elevator speech" you created and be prepared to give the employer your resume.
- It is common that employers will greet you by offering a handshake. Some alternatives to a handshake are nodding your head or a small wave.
- Be positive and confident in what you have to offer the employer.
- Be clear and concise. You have limited time with each employer.
- Demonstrate your knowledge of the field/organization and relate your skills, interests, strengths, and experiences to the specific needs of the employer.
- Highlight your relevant experiences including work, internships, volunteer, and leadership.
- Be responsive to questions asked by the organization's representatives and engage further with employers by asking the questions you prepared.
3. Prepare for follow-up
- Take notes on your conversations including details on how to follow-up with the employer.
- Ask for the employer's business card so that you have their contact information.
4. Use your time wisely
- The fair will be large, and there may be lines at the booths of some employers. It's best to plan ahead to make sure you know where to find employers that interest you the most.
- Download the UMN guidebook app or login to GoldPASS powered by Handshake to view employers attending and locations at the fair.
Mothers' rooms are available for students and employers. Please see the employer registration desk at the event for locations and access codes.
See this list of restaurants within walking distance of the Fair: http://www.mnpcfair.org/students/restaurants-in-walking-distance.pdf
For disability accomodations, please call 612-624-7577.